Have yourselves a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend!
If you’re searching for some post-turkey things to do this Thanksgiving, then look no further! Atlanta has so much going on that we thought we’d help you out. Check out some of these must-see things to do that are happening over Thanksgiving weekend, right here in the ATL!
1. Volunteer with friends or family
Volunteering in the ATL couldn’t be easier! Thanks to Hands On Atlanta, you can register to find out about all the volunteering opportunities available throughout the community. You can even select projects that you’re passionate about, from arts & culture to hunger & homelessness. It’s important to remember that the holidays aren’t always a special time for certain people. So there’s no better time that Thanksgiving to volunteer your time to those who need it, and causes close to your heart.
2-4. Get outdoors for a Thanksgiving hike!
We’re extremely grateful for the gorgeous hiking trails scattered in and around the city. So why not make the most of all the natural beauty and go outdoors! Soak up all of the stunning fall foliage in Piedmont Park, or head to Atlanta’s newest and largest green space, Westside Reservoir Park. Check out our full round-up of must-do hikes around Atlanta, here.
- Westside Reservoir Park, Johnson Road and Grove Park Place
- Kennesaw Mountain Trail, 900 Kennesaw Mountain Dr, Kennesaw
- Silver Comet Trail, Smyrna
5. Catch a movie!
If your Thanksgiving traditions include an evening at the movies, then we suggest checking out Silverspot Cinema at The Battery Atlanta. The luxe cinema also has dining options if you’d like to make it a dinner and a movie! Another awesome option is Sandy Spring’s The Springs Cinema! Movies on offer this Thankgiving weekend include Lady Gaga’s new fashion flick House of Gucci, and Disney’s Encanto!
6-8. Art in Atlanta
There are so many unmissable art exhibitions scattered across the city, perfect for checking out over Thanksgiving weekend. From immersive experiences to an awesome photography project. Don’t miss out!
- Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience, Pullman Yards
- The Art of Banksy: “Without Limits”, Underground Atlanta
- Picturing the South, High Museum of Art
9-12. Go ice skating!
It’s Thanksgiving, which can only mean that it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Check out one of these dazzling ice skating rinks opening up in Atlanta for the holiday season.
- Skate The Station at Atlantic Station
- Avalon on Ice in Alpharetta
- Skate on the Square at Colony Square
- Skate The Sky at Ponce City Market
13-17. Dazzling light shows in Atlanta
Atlanta’s about to get LIT! Holiday decorations and twinkling lights will completely transform the city into a winter wonderland. There’re drive-thru and walk-thru options available, however, every single one will put you in the spirit of the season. Check out our recommendations below.
- Garden Lights, Holiday Nights at the Atlanta Botanical Garden
- Holiday Road at the Horse Mansion at Bouckaert Farm
- Fantasy In Lights at Callaway Gardens
- Holidays in the Park at Six Flags Over Georgia
- IllumiNights at Zoo Atlanta
18-20. Holiday pop-up bars!
Bar hopping has become a whole lot more fun! Some of Atlanta’s hottest bars have magically turned into winter dreamlands, embracing the season in total OTT form. From private igloos to thousands of lights, check out these pop-up holiday bars popping up in Atlanta for the holidays.
- The Roof at Ponce City Market
- North Pole at Colony Square
- The Blind Elf at The Blind Pig Parlour